The name of the village comes from the abundant forest vegetation consisting mainly of plum trees. Early settlement is lost in the distant past. From the era of the Roman and Byzantine rule comes the remarkable monument Slivovsko kale. Various artifacts have been found in these places: monuments, ceramics, plaster, Roman coins by Emperor Constantine the Great, Alexander, Augustus Caesar and others. Legends tell that in the Middle Ages this stronghold has been used by Bulgarian kings and nobles who came here to hunt in old virgin forests. According to the archaeologist Polychronis Sirku through this stronghold has passed a road, connecting the Roman fortress of Nicopolis Ad Instrum.
Presently Gorsko Slivovo has about 700 residents from two ethnic groups - Bulgarians and Turks. In 1852 was built the church of “St. George the Victorious" and in 1586 the mosque was built. In 1872 the Culture center (Chitalishte) was found, which is now located in a modern building from 1966.