The village is situated on the right bank of the Osam river, 3 km far from it, in the last folds of the Balkan Mountains.
Its land is diverse: in the south - rocky and parched with weak forest, in the north along the river – swampy and plain. Perhaps because of these swamps /or lakes/ the village was called Lazhene. Legends speak of Gorno Lagina, Lazan, Lezen - translated into Bulgarian, the first means lake, and the second and third - spring.
Subsurface of Chavdartsi has preserved remnants of distant historical times - from primitive man during the Thracian settlement to Roman rule. Aboriginal people have lived in the Lazhenska cave – there have been found fragments of clay vessels, skulls of people who have lived on this earth long time ago. Thracians have left their mounds, their typical funeral pots with the ashes of the dead.
Romans have left parts of their famous roads leading to Kaleto fortress in Aleksandrovo village and to the cave, the remains of the village- arrows, bracelets, brooches, ant the sarcophagus, which is now in the Archaeological Museum in Sofia. Traces of settlement are lost with the decline of the Byzantine Empire. Then comes the long Ottoman rule and fertile lands are seized by Turkish rulers.
After the Liberation comes the first mayor, the first teacher... In 1885 was built the first school with two classrooms and on April 3, 1927 teachers establish the Culture community center (Chitalishte) in the village.
Today the village has about 340 residents, permanent and temporary. Chitalishte "Education – 1927” is the only cultural institution here. Activities are conducted primarily by the younger generation. The library at the Chitalishte has an active cultural and information center established with the support of "Global Libraries - Bulgaria" Programme.